This content is current only at the time of printing. This document was printed on 20 September 2021. A current copy is located at https://apvma.gov.au/node/11816
You are here
Report on the Quantity of Antimicrobial Products Sold for Veterinary Use in Australia: July 2005 to June 2010 released
The APVMA report on the Quantity of Antimicrobial Products Sold for Veterinary Use in Australia: July 2005 to June 2010 (PDF, 4.1Mb) | (DOC, 3.6Mb) is now available. This report uses data voluntarily submitted to the APVMA by registrants of veterinary antimicrobial products.
- the sales data do not suggest any significant change in the total quantity of antimicrobial products sold from 2005 to 2010
- from 2005 to 2010, 98 per cent of the total antimicrobials sold in Australia for animal use were used in food animals. The remaining 2 per cent were used in non-food animals
- the antimicrobial coccidiostats used to prevent coccidiosis disease in chickens comprised over half of total veterinary antimicrobials sales. Coccidiostats belong to classes of antimicrobials not used in humans and are not considered to contribute to AMR risks in humans, and
- growth promotants made up 4 to 7 per cent of the total antimicrobials sold for use in Australian food animals.