This content is current only at the time of printing. This document was printed on 16 December 2019. A current copy is located at https://apvma.gov.au/node/13076
You are here
Expressions of interest for representation on the National Industrial Chemicals Notification and Assessment Scheme (NICNAS) Strategic Consultative Committee
Expressions of interest are being sought from national organisations for representation on the National Industrial Chemicals Notification and Assessment Scheme (NICNAS) Strategic Consultative Committee (the committee).
Objectives of the committee
The committee will provide information, advice and recommendations to the Director of NICNAS on broad strategic issues related to efficiently and effectively achieving the objectives of the Industrial Chemicals (Notification and Assessment) Act 1989 (ICNA Act). The committee does not have management authority, but provides a mechanism for the Director of NICNAS to consult with key organisations representing the interests of businesses, workers, the environment, consumers or the public on strategic matters regarding NICNAS activities and operations. The committee, chaired by the Director of NICNAS, will be comprised of representatives from peak industry and community-based organisations. More information is in the draft Terms of Reference.
Nomination and appointment process
The committee will be constituted in a two-stage process:
Expressions of interest for representation on the committee will be sought from industry and community-based organisations that meet the following eligibility criteria:
- must be a non-government organisation based in Australia and operating at a national level;
- must be either:
- an industry organisation representing the interests of businesses registered with NICNAS; or,
- a community-based organisation representing the interests of the health and safety of the Australian public, consumers, workers or the environment;
- must have a legitimate interest in NICNAS's work—the organisation's constituents are directly affected by, or have the potential to be directly impacted by, NICNAS activities; and
- must be willing and able to actively participate in the committee's work, including attendance at meetings (at least twice per year).
Organisations seeking representation must submit the attached form and a written statement (maximum three pages) addressing the each of the following selection criteria:
- experience in representing the interests of businesses registered with NICNAS, or the interests of the health and safety of the public, consumers, workers or the environment;
- effective links to relevant sectors or networks (business, public, consumer, workers or environment) to obtain reliable information on matters relating to NICNAS activities;
- an understanding of the Australian industrial chemicals regulatory framework; and
- an ability and commitment to actively participate as a committee member, including meetings.
Expressions of interest close at 5:00pm, Tuesday 17 March 2015.
Eligible organisations will be assessed against the selection criteria. Applicant organisations approved by the Minister for Health will be invited to nominate an individual representive as a member of the committee. Members are appointed for a three-year term.
For queries about the application process, contact NICNAS:
Phone: +61 2 8577 8800 or 1800 638 528