This content is current only at the time of printing. This document was printed on 8 July 2020. A current copy is located at https://apvma.gov.au/node/18966
You are here
Regulatory update #168
Neonicotinoids and honey bee health in Australia
Following our August 2012 announcement of a literature review into the use of neonicotinoid pesticides (or ‘neonics’ as they are often known), we have now published a progress update for this review. This update includes a detailed report on the testing requirements and bee protection label statements for Australian-registered pesticides. The report includes five recommendations for the APVMA to consider further, as part of the overall review. We have also published a detailed reference list of the credible science reports and articles that will inform the final report to be published in the coming months.
Mobile app V2 testing underway
Thank you to those who nominated to undertake testing of version 2 of the APVMA iPhone app. We now have enough nominations to enable thorough testing, with a view to releasing the updated app in early May 2013.
Currently under development, the app will feature access to the permits database.
Health reviews medicines and poisons scheduling
In January 2013, the Minister for Health and Ageing, Tanya Plibersek, appointed an independent panel to review the scheduling regime for medicines and poisons. Former APVMA CEO, Eva Bennet-Jenkins, has been appointed to chair this panel.
The review will report on several aspects relating to amendments made by Parliament in 2009 to Part 6-3 of the Therapeutic Goods Act 1989.
Public submissions to the review are invited, with the consultation period commencing Tuesday, 2 April and concluding 5 pm Monday 29 April 2013.
Reminder—open for public consultation
The APVMA is currently seeking comment on:
- Proposed standards for the active constituents amicarbazone and florasulam – 28 April 2013
- Preliminary findings on the reconsideration of fenamiphos – 31 May 2013
- It's important we get it right: developing our Risk Compendium – until further notice
Advice Summaries published since last issue are listed below. For a complete list and further information, please refer to the Advice Summaries content on our website.
- The Locals Sandfly and Mozzie Stuff Insect Repellent
- Sinochem Castle 250 SC Fungicide
- Yates Success Ultra Insect Control
- Hovex Clothing Moth Killer Cassette
- Rodemise Difenacoum Rodent Bait Blocks
- Macphersons Caldera 250 SL Herbicide
- Scorpio Ornamental Fungicide
- Sunwater Copper Sulfate Aquatic Algicide
- Spray Seed 250 Herbicide
Application Summaries are updated weekly. For a complete list, please refer to the Application Summaries content on our website.