This content is current only at the time of printing. This document was printed on 6 December 2021. A current copy is located at https://apvma.gov.au/node/27191
You are here
International honour recognises APVMA scientists for providing safe and fast access of veterinary product for Australian farmers
Scientists from the Australian Pesticides and Veterinary Medicines Authority (APVMA) have received awards for excellence from the Canadian Government for their contribution to the first trilateral joint review and approval of a veterinary chemical product.
The awards were presented to the APVMA by the Canadian High Commissioner of Australia, His Excellency Mr Paul Maddison during a ceremony at the APVMA office earlier today.
APVMA CEO, Dr Chris Parker said that the awards recognise Australia’s world class approach to regulating veterinary medicines and highlight the many benefits of international scientific collaboration for government regulators and industry.
“Despite having different regulatory frameworks, the agencies involved in this trilateral joint review streamlined their registration processes and shared the regulatory load so that farmers could access this new veterinary product sooner, across multiple markets.
“The review required joint consideration of efficacy, target animal safety and human food safety, and through this collaboration we were able to reduce assessment timeframes.
“These awards are great recognition for us as regulators, but the real winners from this joint review are the farmers who gained faster access to a safe and effective veterinary product.
“We’re working on a number of fronts to make the application and registration process more streamlined in Australia and part of this is efficiency that will be gained through enhanced use of international data and assessments.
“The APVMA has a strong track record of international cooperation on agvet chemical regulation and we are proud to be recognised along with our counterparts in Canada and New Zealand for our contribution to the first ever trilateral joint review of a veterinary drug.” Dr Parker said.
Working on joint and global reviews is just one way the APVMA is looking to improve its performance.
- APVMA staff received two awards from the Canadian Government’s annual Public Service Awards for their contribution to a trilateral joint review of a veterinary chemical product in 2016. The awards are:
- 2017 Deputy Minister’s Award for Excellence—the highest honour bestowed upon Health Canada employees; and the
- 2017 Health Products and Food Branch Assistant Deputy Minister’s Award for Excellence.
- The review of Metacam ® 20 mg/ml was the first trilateral review of a veterinary chemical product.
- Metacam ® 20mg/ml is a non-steroidal, anti-inflammatory drug for the relief of pain and stress in sheep during castration.
- The new use for Metacam ® 20 mg/ml was approved in Australia by the APVMA in 2016.