This content is current only at the time of printing. This document was printed on 5 December 2021. A current copy is located at https://apvma.gov.au/node/927
You are here
Therapeutic pet food products
The following information must appear on all therapeutic pet food product labels:
- the product name
- an indication of product type (food)
- the directions for use (clear, simple and concise)—include dose rates or use levels, and other information that may affect the efficacy and safety of the product
- a description (content, use, claim)—include any nutrients that relate to the product claim; express content as ‘% as fed’ (gram/unit of energy)
- the nutrient composition (related to claim)
- a ‘use before’ or ‘best before’ date, or expiry date
- the statement ‘Use under directions of a veterinarian’
- the APVMA approval number (assigned at time of label approval)
- storage information (to be stored below 30°C, in a cool dry place)
- contact information
- contents (in metric weight).
The following information should appear on the product leaflet:
- a feeding guide
- the ingredients.
The statement ‘for animal treatment only’ is not required to appear on the labels of therapeutic pet-food products.