This content is current only at the time of printing. This document was printed on 6 October 2022. A current copy is located at https://apvma.gov.au/node/370
You are here
Communication between applicants and the APVMA
The Agvet Code requires the Australian Pesticides and Veterinary Medicines Authority (APVMA) to notify you when certain things happen through the course of the application’s assessment. We can provide this notification through either standard post or electronically (if you give consent to do so).
If you give your consent we may send information – including sending notices, issuing a certificate, or giving a statement of reasons – electronically. We can also give consent to receive information from you electronically. If we consent, you may also provide information to us – such as notification to withdraw an application, or making a request – electronically. In some cases, including providing a data list or providing relevant particulars for label approval, we will only accept the information in electronic form.
What applicants can expect from the APVMA
The APVMA is committed to providing quality, science-based, legislatively rigorous and efficient regulation that is open, transparent and informed by the expectations of all our stakeholders.
We place a high value on:
- being courteous, considerate, impartial, consistent, honest, ethical and professional
- providing explanations of our processes and requirements in a form you can understand
- processing applications efficiently and within statutory timeframes
- maintaining high standards of quality
- making decisions in line with the APVMA's governing legislation
- listening and responding to what you tell us.
We will keep you informed through:
- notifying you of decisions made regarding your application and if additional information is required
- making all public information available on our website
- responding promptly and accurately to requests about our programs, functions and services
- providing contact names and phone numbers on all written correspondence.
What we expect from applicants
The APVMA expects applicants to submit applications that are complete, free of errors, and accompanied by the required information and the prescribed fee (if applicable). Where relevant, applications need to contain information that satisfies us that they meet the statutory criteria (safety, efficacy, trade and labelling).
We expect applicants to fully consider the regulatory responsibilities of becoming a holder of an approval or registration prior to submitting an application.
We also expect applicants to familiarise themselves with our application requirements and adhere to the APVMA’s customer service charter so that quality applications are made.
Applicants are expected to:
- treat our staff with courtesy and respect
- give us sufficient time to respond to your requests
- be open and honest in your dealings with us
- supply all the information required to support your applications.
When we will notify applicants
|We will notify you …||Approval or variation of an active constituent or registration||Permit||Renewal of registration||Change of holder or nominated agent|
|to acknowledge receipt of the application – within 10 days of receiving it||✓||✓||✓||✓|
|if we identify defects in the application that can be reasonably rectified within the one-month timeframe||N/A||✓||N/A||N/A|
|if the conditions imposed on the registration prevent it being renewed||N/A||N/A||✓||N/A|
|if the application has passed preliminary assessment – within 14 days of making the decision||✓||✓||N/A||N/A|
|if the application has been refused in preliminary assessment – within 14 days of making the decision||✓||✓||N/A||N/A|
|if the balance of fees or additional copies of the application are required||✓||✓||N/A||N/A|
|if further clarification, information or samples are required||✓||✓||N/A||✓|
|if the application is re-categorised||✓||✓||N/A||N/A|
|if the application is re-categorised and an additional fee is required||✓||✓||N/A||N/A|
|if we require your consent to vary the application||✓||✓||N/A||✓|
|if we propose to vary the particulars of the application||✓||✓||N/A||✓|
|if we propose to refuse the application||✓||✓||✓||✓|
|if the application has been refused – within 14 days of the refusal||✓||✓||✓||✓|
|if the application is granted||✓||✓||✓||✓|
If you have applied for a certificate for exporting agricultural and veterinary chemical products we will notify you when:
- the application has been received
- further clarification or information is required
- the certificate has been issued
- the application has been refused.