This content is current only at the time of printing. This document was printed on 27 June 2017. A current copy is located at https://apvma.gov.au/node/15881
You are here
Products we don’t regulate
The APVMA is not involved in the regulation of some chemicals, chemical products and equipment used in homes, workplaces, veterinary surgeries and on farms. Some of these are:
- medicines and other pharmaceutical and medical products used with people
- non-agricultural chemicals, such as cleaning products or industrial chemicals
- animal cosmetic products such as non-medicated pet shampoos or toothpaste
- devices, medical equipment and physical barrier products used on animals
- other and agricultural veterinary products listed as exclusions by the Agvet Code.
If you’re a manufacturer, supplier, or importer of agvet products and need to know if your product requires registration, use the Registration self-assessment tool. You can also apply for a technical assessment.
The Agvet Code specifies certain products to be exempt from registration with the APVMA. There are also special registration arrangements for products of low regulatory concern. This includes animal feed products classed by the Agvet Code as excluded nutritional or digestive (END) products.
Some products are regulated by other government authorities—make sure you understand your obligations.
While some products are exempt from registration—or not regulated by the APVMA—they may still be regulated by other government authorities under different legislation. This can include legislation relating to pharmaceuticals, health, workplace safety, biosecurity, customs or competition.