Types of permits

There are various types of permits:

  • Minor use permit – for minor use situations where no relevant registered products or use patterns exist and registering the use pattern would not produce sufficient economic return
  • Emergency use permit – supports primary producers during emergencies or impending emergencies, such as outbreaks of pests and diseases, by allowing the use of a chemical product or an active constituent to address an emergency situation
  • Research permit – assists in the development, through experiments, of new uses for products. Note that the Australian Pesticides and Veterinary Medicines Authority (APVMA) does not issue permits to enable market research
  • Export permit – to legalise possession of an unregistered product or unapproved active constituent in Australia, for the purpose of export supply to another country (does not permit use within Australia)
  • Veterinary manufacturing permit – may be issued in exceptional circumstances to authorise the carrying out of a step (or steps) of manufacture of veterinary product/s, that would otherwise be an offence or a contravention of a civil penalty provision set out in the Agvet Code, in relation to manufacture and licensing. Compliance with the APVMA’s Manufacturing Principles must be demonstrated, and the permit is restricted to a maximum period of 90 days.
  • Miscellaneous permit – may be issued for a circumstance not covered by the other permits (for example, to oversticker an approved label, to supply specific batches of a registered product that do not comply with the product specifications to supply a registered product with an unapproved label or to extend the shelf life of a batch)
Was this page helpful?

Your feedback will be submitted to the APVMA anonymously. If you require a response, please contact us.