Export, research and miscellaneous permits

Export permits

Export permit applications are made under an Item 19 application. Export permits are issued to legalise the possession of an unregistered product or unapproved active constituent for the purposes of export to other countries, or where Australia will be used as a distribution point for products or active constituents manufactured elsewhere in the world. Export permits are typically issued to manufacturers, registrants and distributors.

A product or active constituent is considered unregistered or unapproved if any aspect of the product or active constituent does not meet the conditions of Australian registration or approval. Therefore, export of products that are registered in Australia but do not meet all conditions of registration (e.g. have been re-labelled or re-packaged for supply in another country) require an export permit to legalise possession of the product in Australia.

Export permits do not allow supply for the purpose of use within Australia.

You can commence your application using the decision tree on our Online Services Portal. More information about timeframes and fees is available on our website.

Export permits are not the same as a certificate for export – separate applications must be lodged to obtain these documents.

If importing an unregistered product or an unapproved active constituent, a separate consent to import is also required – even if you hold an export permit. 

Research permits

Research permit applications are made under an Item 23 application. Research permits are issued to legalise research use of an agvet chemical in Australia. The Australian Pesticides and Veterinary Medicines Authority (APVMA) has prepared a guide for determining emergency uses or research purposes to assist in determining whether a proposed use meets the criteria for a research permit.

Applying to the APVMA for a specific research permit to conduct small-scale trials may not be required, if the proposed research complies with all of the conditions of the small-scale trial permit PER7250 (including the requirement that no produce resulting from the trial will be made available for human consumption). You can view permit PER7250 through the Permits search on our Online Services Portal.

If importing an unregistered product or an unapproved active constituent, a separate consent to import is also required – even if you hold a research permit or the research is being conducted under PER7250.

Miscellaneous permits

Item 23 also includes application for a permit that would nullify offences under sections 74–79, 79B, 80, 81, 84, 85, 87 or 91 of the Agvet Code. These sections relate to the possession and supply of active constituents, chemical substances and chemical products, and offences relating to labels and claims.

The most common other (miscellaneous) permit applications under category 23 include:

  • supply of a particular batch or batches of a registered product where the batch does not comply with product specifications
  • oversticker of information on the approved label of a registered product.
Was this page helpful?

Your feedback will be submitted to the APVMA anonymously. If you require a response, please contact us.