This content is current only at the time of printing. This document was printed on 22 January 2020. A current copy is located at https://apvma.gov.au/node/15521
You are here
Analysts can assist the APVMA with various aspects of chemical testing relevant to assessment, approval and compliance functions.
The role of analysts
When the analysis of chemicals is required, analysis must be performed by an APVMA-approved analyst. The APVMA or the holder can arrange the testing, however the cost may be borne by either the APVMA or the holder, depending on the circumstances.
Becoming an approved analyst
To become an APVMA approved analyst you must meet certain criteria.
Appointments as an APVMA approved analyst are made under Section 69G of the Agricultural and Veterinary Chemicals (Administration) Act 1992.
To request appointment as an approved analyst, please print this form, complete the details and return it with required additional information to the APVMA at the following address:
APVMA Compliance and Monitoring
Director Compliance and Monitoring
APVMA Approved Analysts
GPO Box 3262
SYDNEY NSW 2001
Claims against the following criteria assist the APVMA when appointing an approved analyst and must be complied with for the duration of appointment.
- ability to prepare a Certificate of Analysis in the required format
- ability to comply with the Guidelines for Approved Analysts
- demonstrated experience, professional and technical skills in the fields of calibration and/or chemical testing and/or biological testing
- ability to perform all requested analytical services at National Association of Testing Authorities (NATA) or International Accreditation New Zealand (IANZ) (for New Zealand based appointed analysts) accredited facilities (laboratories)1
- relevant formal qualifications and current employment (including as a sub-contractor) in a NATA accredited or other APVMA approved facility.
Examples of acceptable qualifications include:
- degree in applied science
- degree in life science
- degree in chemistry (applied or analytical)
- degree in microbiology
- diploma/certificate in chemistry, microbiology or laboratory techniques.
- The ability to maintain copies of all records and other documentation relating to services for a period of seven years, including:
- the results
- quality assurance procedures
- analytical and testing methods.
Please note that appointment does not guarantee engagement or procurement of services from any analyst or accredited laboratory by the APVMA.
Analytical services may be commissioned by applicants, approval holders, registrants, or by the APVMA for the purpose of compliance and enforcement or specific requests under Section 99 of the Agvet Code.
List of approved analysts
ACS Laboratories (Australia)
37 Stubbs St, Kensington VIC 3031
03 9220 0115
Australian Analytical and Formulation Services
4/15 Newcastle Road, Bayswater, VIC 3153
03 9720 2703
1Any future reference to NATA accreditation throughout this document is considered to include IANZ accreditation under the Mutual Recognition Arrangement whereby each national laboratory accreditation body recognizes the equivalence of accreditations granted by its overseas counterparts.