Does my agricultural product need to be registered?

When the APVMA refers to agricultural products, we mean those items that are defined by the legislative framework as ‘agricultural chemical products’.

Some agricultural products can be clearly and unambiguously identified as needing to be registered (for example, they may have a clear role in pest, weed or plant disease control). Likewise, for some agricultural products registration is clearly not required. For example, mould inhibitors sold for domestic use and cut flower preservatives do not need to be registered. Nor is it necessary to register equipment and other physical devices used for pest control.

For other products, however, the situation is not so clear-cut. A number of factors may need to be considered to determine whether a particular agricultural product needs to be registered before it can be legally sold in the Australian marketplace.

To help you work out if your product needs registration we are currently developing some resources to guide you through the regulatory requirements, including a user guide on what is or isn’t an agricultural product and a simple, free self-assessment tool which will provide an automated result based on the product details you enter and the legal requirements for that type of product.

To protect your privacy, please do not include contact information in your feedback. If you would like a response, please contact us.