Importing veterinary chemical products

If you are a veterinarian, you should familiarise yourself with the legislation – and especially make sure you understand the sections most relevant to you.

Parts of the Agvet Code apply directly to veterinarians – make sure you understand them.

Veterinary chemical products can only be legally imported into Australia if given an Import Consent from the Australian Pesticides and Veterinary Medicines Authority (APVMA). In certain circumstances, the Agvet Code permits veterinarians to apply for an Import Consent prior to a product arriving in Australia by allowing at least 14 days for the application to be processed.

To apply for an Import Consent, you must be a veterinarian registered to practice in your state or territory. You must also be legally permitted to use – or prescribe the use of – the chemical product you are importing, in line with your relevant state or territory legislation and any conditions on your registration as a veterinarian.

There are strict conditions imposed on Import Consents. One of which is the consent only applies to using – or prescribing the use of – the imported chemical product with the individual animal under your professional care. When imported for use with one animal, the chemical product cannot be used with another – even if from the same flock, herd or other group – unless permitted in the conditions of the Import Consent.

Was this page helpful?

Your feedback will be submitted to the APVMA anonymously. If you require a response, please contact us.