Using pool chemicals

Users and suppliers of pool and spa chemicals – both domestic users and those using them commercially in the leisure industry – should follow the same advice given to people involved with any agricultural or veterinary (agvet) chemical. Always follow the safety and use directions on the label and only use Australian Pesticides and Veterinary Medicines Authority (APVMA) registered products.

The easiest way to determine if a pool chemical is registered is to look for the APVMA or NRA registration number on the label, or search for the product on the APVMA's PubCRIS database.

Look for the APVMA or NRA registration number on the label to make sure a product is registered.

The ‘control of use’ for pool chemicals is governed by relevant state and territory legislation. This may include restrictions on the quantities and locations in which certain pool chemicals can be legally stored. State and territory legislation with regard to the storage of dangerous goods also applies to many pool chemicals.

Was this page helpful?

Your feedback will be submitted to the APVMA anonymously. If you require a response, please contact us.