This content is current only at the time of printing. This document was printed on 5 July 2020. A current copy is located at https://apvma.gov.au/node/667
You are here
Timeframes and fees for permit applications
The assessment period for a new permit application commences on the day:
- the notice advising you that your application has passed preliminary assessment is issued, provided you are not required to provide copies or your application or pay an outstanding amount of fees; or
- you comply with the notice requesting the balance of fees or additional copies of your application.
The assessment period for a permit extension commences on the day the APVMA issues you with a notice advising you that your application for a permit extension will be assessed under subsection 115.
As soon as practical after the commencement of the assessment period, the APVMA aims to determine:
- if your application should be recategorised to ensure that the Item and level of Module assessment originally identified is appropriate;
- if argument provided in your application in lieu of data is appropriate; and
- if there are any obvious and critical information gaps in the dossier.
The assessment period may change if one of the circumstances listed below applies to the application:
- If a notice requiring specified information under section 159 of the Agvet Code is issued, the extended assessment period prescribed by the Agvet Code Regulations will apply. This extension can only be applied once, regardless of how many notices are issued under section 159.
- If a notice is issued changing the Item or Module, level or type that is required to determine your application and this results in a change to the assessment period or fees, the assessment period may be lengthened or shortened. Where you are required to pay an additional fee the assessment period will be extended to allow for the period until the fee is paid. Fees must be paid within 28 days from the date of notice.
- If a Notice of Proposal to refuse is issued to you the assessment period will be paused for the 28-day period within which you are invited to respond to the notice.
Assessment periods and fees
The application fee and the assessment period in which the APVMA is required to determine an application vary depending on the complexity of the application.
To view assessment periods and fees for permit applications, visit the timeframe and fees section on our website.