This content is current only at the time of printing. This document was printed on 16 December 2019. A current copy is located at https://apvma.gov.au/node/11521
You are here
Preliminary review findings on the reconsideration of fenthion
This consultation closed on 22 August 2014.
The APVMA is reconsidering the approvals, registrations and product labels associated with the insecticide fenthion. The scope of this review was to assess the toxicological, occupational health and safety, residues and dietary exposure and environmental risks associated with the approvals and registrations for fenthion.
The APVMA invites comment on the fenthion Preliminary Review Findings Report from 22 May 2014 to 22 August 2014.
Assessment of available data concluded that the use of products containing fenthion may, in most situations, pose undue risks to human health (via dietary and occupational exposure) and the environment. The APVMA proposes the following regulatory actions to manage these risks:
- cancellation of the cattle lice control product
- cancellation of all pest control and home garden products except fenthion 1% dust
- variation of the label of the fenthion 1% dust product to update the safety directions and to delete use in ceilings, wall spaces and crawl spaces
- variation of the label of the horticultural product to update the safety directions and warnings and to delete all horticultural uses except post-harvest dipping of tropical and subtropical inedible peel fruits.
Comments on this report will be assessed by the APVMA (and partner agencies where required) prior to finalisation of the review.
Invitation for submissions
The APVMA invites written submissions on the preliminary review findings from industry and other interested parties. Claims made in submissions should be supported wherever possible by referencing or including relevant data or publicly available information such as published reports, studies, research findings etc.
All information (including name and address details) contained in submissions will be made available to the public on the APVMA's website, unless you indicate that you would like all or part of your submission to remain in confidence.
Automatically generated confidentiality statements in emails do not suffice for this purpose. Respondents, who would like part of their submission to remain in confidence, should provide this information marked as such in a separate attachment to the submission.
A request made under the Freedom of Information Act 1982 (Commonwealth) for a submission marked 'confidential' to be made available will be determined in accordance with that Act.
More information on making a submission is detailed within the preliminary review findings report.
Email your written submissions to firstname.lastname@example.org. We prefer emailed submissions. However, hardcopy submissions (or files on digital media) can be sent to:
Manager, Fenthion Review
Australian Pesticides and Veterinary Medicines Authority
PO Box 6182
Kingston ACT 2604
The material on or linking from, this website contains the views or recommendations of third parties. This material does not necessarily reflect the views of the APVMA or the Australian Government, or indicate a commitment to a particular course of action. The Commonwealth cannot verify the accuracy of information provided by third parties.
Note: There may be links contained within these documents that will transfer you from the APVMA website. The APVMA does not have responsibility for these external websites, nor does linking to or from these documents constitute any form of endorsement.
Published on 16 October 2014:
- Kiwifruit growers, Northern NSW
- Control-A-Bird Pty Ltd
- Ms Rita Saffioti MP WA parliamentarian, Swan Valley WA
- Custard Apples Australia
- ANC Bird Control
- Cattle Council
- Stone fruit grower Forbes NSW
- Fruit grower – submission not for publication
- Stone fruit grower Forbes NSW
- Hills Orchard Improvement Group WA
- Australian Mango Industry Association
- Summerfruit Australia Ltd
- Australian Pest Bird Management
- Apple and Pear Australia Ltd
- Queensland Department of Agriculture, Fisheries and Forestry
Note that all submissions are published electronically unless the author of the submission specifically requested otherwise.
If you have difficulty accessing a submission and need further assistance, please contact the APVMA.
Full details of the fenthion chemical review, including additional reports and data that contributed to the Preliminary Review Findings Report.
Phone: +61 2 6210 4700
Fax: +61 2 6210 4776